METAL in PharMacEuTicAL
The simple inorganic platinum compound cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II), also known as cisplatin, is one of the most important anticancer drug in clinical use. The discovery of its antitumoural activity by Barnett Rosenberg some 40 years ago opened a new area of anticancer research based on metal complexes.
In the Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry, headed by Dr. Ang Wee Han, we are interested in taking the development of these metal complexes to a whole new level. Our research involves the study of the "metal" in pharmaceutical drugs for cancer therapy. Using rational drug design, we explore alternative strategies and analytical tools to develop viable chemotherapeutic agents based not only on platinum but also other metal centres.
Laboratory Group Members (Photo taken Aug 2015)
- Structural Determinants of p53-Independence in Anticancer Ruthenium-Arene Schiff-base Complexes, Mol. Pharmaceutics, 2016, accepted ,
- Structural tuning of organoruthenium compounds allows oxidative switch to control ER stress pathways and bypass multidrug resistance, Chem. Sci., 2016, in press ,
- Structure–Activity Relationship Studies on Rhodamine B-based Fluorogenic Probes and Their Activation by Anticancer Platinum(II) Compounds, J. Inorg. Biochem., 2015, 153, 272-278 ,
- Gene Detection in Complex Biological Media Using Semiconductor Nanorods within an Integrated Microfluidic Device, Anal. Chem., 2015, 87, 10292-10298 ,
- Induction of Immunogenic Cell Death by Chemotherapeutic Platinum Complexes (VIP), Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. , 2015, 54, 6483-6487 ,
- Induction of Targeted Necrosis with HER2-targeted Platinum(IV) Anticancer Prodrugs, Chem. Sci., 2015, 6, 3051-3056 ,
- Discovery and Investigation of Anticancer Ruthenium Arene Schiff-Base Complexes via Water-Promoted Combinatorial Three-Component Assembly, J. Med. Chem., 2014, 57, 6043-6059 ,
- Immuno-Chemotherapeutic Platinum(IV) Prodrugs of Cisplatin as Multimodal Anticancer Agents, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, 26, 6752-6756 ,
- Ratiometric Delivery of Cisplatin and Doxorubicin using Tumour-Targeting Carbon-Nanotubes Entrapping Platinum(IV) Prodrugs , Chem. Sci, 2014, 5, 2265-2270 ,
- A Fluorescent Probe for Investigating the Activation of Anticancer Platinum(IV) Prodrugs Based on the Cisplatin Scaffold, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 11785-11789 ,
- Tuning the activity of platinum(IV) anticancer complexes through asymmetric acylation, J. Med. Chem., 2012, 55, 7571-7582 ,
- Platinum(IV) prodrugs entrapped within multiwalled carbon nanotubes: Selective release by chemical reduction and hydrophobicity reversal, Chem. Sci., 2012, 3, 2083-2087 ,