METAL in PharMacEuTicAL
The simple inorganic platinum compound cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II), also known as cisplatin, is one of the most important anticancer drug in clinical use. The discovery of its antitumoural activity by Barnett Rosenberg some 40 years ago opened a new area of anticancer research based on metal complexes.
In the Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry, headed by Dr. Ang Wee Han, we are interested in taking the development of these metal complexes to a whole new level. Our research involves the study of the "metal" in pharmaceutical drugs for cancer therapy. Using rational drug design, we explore alternative strategies and analytical tools to develop viable chemotherapeutic agents based not only on platinum but also other metal centres.
Laboratory Group Members (Photo taken Sep 2013)
- Immuno-Chemotherapeutic Platinum(IV) Prodrugs of Cisplatin as Multimodal Anticancer Agents, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, 26, 6752-6756 ,
- In vivo biodistribution of platinum-based drugs encapsulated into multi-walled carbon nanotubes, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2014, in press ,
- Ratiometric Delivery of Cisplatin and Doxorubicin using Tumour-Targeting Carbon-Nanotubes Entrapping Platinum(IV) Prodrugs , Chem. Sci, 2014, 5, 2265-2270 ,
- Enhanced cytotoxicity to cancer cells by mitochondria-targeting MWCNTs containing platinum(IV) prodrug of cisplatin, Biomaterials, 2014, 35, 748-753 ,
- A Fluorescent Probe for Investigating the Activation of Anticancer Platinum(IV) Prodrugs Based on the Cisplatin Scaffold, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 11785-11789 ,
- Organoruthenium Antagonists of Human A3 Adenosine Receptors, Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19, 8321-8330 ,
- Harnessing chemoselective imine ligation for tethering bioactive molecules to platinum(IV) prodrugs, Dalton Trans., 2012, 41, 6104-6111 ,
- Rational Design of Selective Organoruthenium Inhibitors of Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase 1B, Inorg. Chem., 2012, 51, 12483-12492 ,
- Immobilisation of quantum dots by bio-orthogonal PCR amplification and labelling for direct gene detection and quantitation, Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 5467-5469 ,
- Tuning the activity of platinum(IV) anticancer complexes through asymmetric acylation, J. Med. Chem., 2012, 55, 7571-7582 ,
- Platinum(IV) prodrugs entrapped within multiwalled carbon nanotubes: Selective release by chemical reduction and hydrophobicity reversal, Chem. Sci., 2012, 3, 2083-2087 ,